A week ago on a Friday morning in my quiet time I
asked God that my life be evident of Him.
That others would know that I was a Christ follower by my actions not
life less words. I’ve been working at
loving others not just when its easy, but when its down right hard.
As December began to close and
January of 2016 approached, I continued to see the word “generous” over and
over. It would be in my daily bible
reading, in our Sunday school lesson, in the Sunday sermon and in the songs I
would be listening to and so I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt, that “generous”
was MY word for 2016.
I then began to be blessed as I
placed an index card in my journal to record the times I came across the word
“generous”. It is amazing to me when God
speaks so clearly to the soul of my heart.
You see, generous doesn’t come naturally or easily for me. It is something that I have to be mindful of
and the choices that I make.
A week ago, being generous
happened so quickly and so out of character that I had to take some time. I had to mull through what God has been doing
in me and be able to articulate this all to pen and paper. To give God glory and to be thankful for the
opportunity that He gave me on a Friday morning, September 16th.
I left for a run out in Colorado
and made plans for breakfast back at our place when I was finished. But if I’ve learned anything from being
married to my guy and walking with Jesus is that my plans are never to be
written in concrete. When Bill and I met
back up he mentioned that he had seen our neighbors headed down the mountain
and would I like to go out for breakfast because we might be able to visit with
them and catch up.
When we arrived at The Bakery,
there wasn’t any sign of Nancy and
Ginny. We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast
just the two of us and then stopped in for a good cup of coffee before
returning to our little hideaway at a little quaint coffee shop we
frequent. Before I even got to place my
order, I had a fun surprise in that my friend Cynamin was also grabbing a
treat. After embracing and chatting I noticed a lady just a little older than
me sitting on one of the sofas writing away on her laptop. I walked up to her and made mention of how
beautiful the morning was for her to be having a bike ride as I had just
finished my run. I asked where she was
riding to, and I found out that she was biking solo across the U.S.
trying to be the oldest lady doing so for the Guiness Book of World
Records. I asked what route she was
taking and she shared she would soon be riding Hwy 160. What????
Really??? Through Kansas ??? Ulysses, Kansas ? I live in Ulysses, Kansas ,
do you need a place to stay? And just
like that she and I made plans for her to come to our home and spend the night.
This story doesn’t stop there,
for one person to spend the night with us quickly moved to two. Then a second later she remembered that she
had an acquaintance from a previous bike ride in 2015 that was going to ride a
portion of Kansas with her and
she was meeting up with her on Saturday evening in Springfield ,
Colorado .
Well, there wasn’t anyway to get out of that, so ok, we have two extra
beds and the ladies would bunk together in our home.
I will tell you this all happened
in less than 3 minutes, and I didn’t even ask Bill, my mouth simply opened and
out it came. Saturday on our drive back
to Kansas , we saw Lynn and her
brother as he was her Sag for a few days in Kim ,
Colorado .
We stopped to make sure they were doing ok and then confirmed that they
were still on schedule to stay with us the following evening.
Sunday late afternoon the
doorbell rang and there was Lynn ,
and the two others hot, wind blown and right on time. As they cooled off and refreshed themselves I
found out that Lynn is also a
vegetarian which made preparing dinner for 5 easy for Bill and I. Grilled burgers and home made veggie burgers
hit the spot with all the sides and to not be in a hurry to get someplace
satisfied all of us. But it gets even
crazier as I soon found out that we had ONE more moving in for the night and
she wouldn’t be here until around 9:15 .
If you know me any at all, 9:15 is
about an hour past my bed time and taking 4 complete strangers into my home is
out of my comfort zone. At 10:15
the third person has yet to arrive and I bow out and head for my bed as we all
have a super early day on Monday.
The cool thing is that I felt and
still feel a sweet connection with Lynn . I love her heart and I love her zest for
life and that she likes to be out of the lime light. She simply “does” without really trying to be
seen. This has become my motto for some
time now, doing things that others have no idea about, or doing without being
recognized. I also have come to really
like the other lady that came to ride a good portion of Kansas
with her, a really neat lady for sure!
Thursday morning found Bill and I
in Wichita which happened to be Lynn ’s
day off of cyling and she was also in Wichita
with the other two women that had spent the night in our home so we made a date
for a late breakfast and to catch up one more time. It was a blast!
Lynn (sleeveless pink top), Sandra (her sister-in-law in the SAG role), Brenda (lives in Wichita and rode with Lynn from Springfield, Colorado to El Dorado), Bill and myself.
So my mind is still articulating
but what I have come to realize so far is that by being quick to help someone,
by being generous with what I’ve been blessed with, by rolling with the flow
and not getting bent out of shape, by being out of my comfort zone, I was able
to be a blessing and I was blessed in the midst of all of this! I have two sweet new friends that I truly do
hope to meet again in this life time.
+Lord, may they have left our
home encouraged and refreshed.
+Lord, may they realize that You
are good and You are real.
+Lord, may I continue to be
generous, kind and loving.
+Lord, maybe the world isn’t such
a bad place after all & that Kansas
is a beautiful place!
+Lord, may Lynn
make it safely back to her home in Virginia .
+Lord, thank You for divine
appointments and unique situations.
“You know your way around the faith. Now do what you’ve been taught. School’s out; quit studying the subject and
start living it! And let your living spill over into thanksgiving.” Colossians
2:7 Msg
Be kind, be you, love Jesus!
Yolanda
Be kind, be you, love Jesus!
Yolanda


No comments:
Post a Comment